Friday, April 30, 2010

My first day of baking.

So this was my first allergen-free recipe. Well, to be honest it was my second. I tried making up my own pancakes for Sam for breakfast, and they turned out not so great; crisp and golden-delicious-looking on the outside, and mushy-like-applesauce-would-not-set-up on the inside. Sam ate a few bites, bless his heart, but then when he saw fresh fruit on the counter he was done trying.

So this cookie recipe is actually delicious, and my two older boys (and me) keep snitching them while they are cooling on the rack. However, I don't know if Sam likes them. I am LOVING the Gluten-Free Goddess, all of her advice, tips, information, and yummy-looking recipes. Like I said, this was my first one, but I think I will be trying a lot of her recipes. Next today is bread. I'm nervous.

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients:

3/4 cup Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes
1/2 cup Organic Quinoa Flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour or potato starch (not potato flour!)
1 2/3 cups organic light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
In a large measuring cup blend:

2/3 cup light olive oil
3 tablespoons real maple syrup (I didn't have pure maple syrup, so I used molasses, so it was more like a gingersnap)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Combine the wet and dry ingredients with a sturdy wooden spoon until you get a thick, sticky batter.

Make your egg replacement:

1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer
4 tablespoons warm water

Whip the egg replacer ingredients till foamy and frothy. [If you are adding eggs instead, beat two large free-range organic eggs; and omit the egg replacement formula.]

Add the egg replacer to the batter and combine well. The dough should be thick and rather sticky.

Add:

3 to 4 tablespoons of warm water, as needed to achieve a cookie style dough that sticks together when you pinch it.

Stir in:

1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips

Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cover and chill the dough for 30 to 60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or lightly greased parchment.
(at this point I changed the recipe to make smaller cookies, which cooked in a lot less time)

Roll about two teaspoons of dough between your palms to form small balls. Place the dough balls on the prepared baking sheet and press down a bit to flatten slightly- not too much. Place the pan into the center of a pre-heated oven and bake until golden and set, about 9-10 minutes. The cookies will still have a little give to them while hot; as they cool they will crisp up.

Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes; then carefully remove the cookies with a thin spatula and place them on a wire rack to continue cooling.

Lovely warm and melty. Store in a covered container for up to a day or wrap cooled cookies in recycled foil, bag and freeze for longer storage.

Makes 55 cookies.

2 comments:

  1. This is great, Megan! You'll be so glad you did it! I'm sorry you have to go through this with him but you are a strong woman and will make the very best of it (you already are, even if it is scary)! Have you ever had Lara Bars? I know a lot of them have nuts in them, but I doubt they all do, we love them at our house, and maybe Sam could learn to love them too. :) Good luck! I'll be checking in often! Love,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan! My name is Megan Thomas. My friend Jacy told me about your Blog. She is friends with Stefanie Maddox, (well so Im I for that matter.) Anywho...I have a 3 year old Daughter (Hailey) just recently diagnosed with Celiac and EE. I thought the celiac diet was hard to follow, but this one is kicking my butt! I am so excited someone else will try recipes, because I am soooo not a cook and have been completely overwhelmed with this. We've been told that Hailey has a severe case and her blood allergy tests have shown allergy to EVERY food tested. (Some severe and some moderate.) I cannot even think about giving her neocate formula (although my 8 month old baby is on it,) so we are doing flonase for 2 months, then re scoping to see the progress. I'm sorry about Sam, but is nice to know there is someone else out there who understands. I have given up on blogging, but my email is meganwthomas@yahoo. I'll keep you posted on Haileys progress and will watch Sams progress too!

    ReplyDelete