Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The official word.

I neglected to post on the biopsy results, and as expected they were positive for eosinophils. His numbers were 50, which is average I guess. Anything above 20 indicates EE. So for now my plan is to keep him on swallowed Flovent for a couple weeks to clear out the eosinophils in his esophagus, and continue the allergen-free diet for the top six offenders. Then we will scope again in three months. If the scope is clear, then we will start adding things one at a time. If it's not clean, then we will eliminate more foods, and maybe the dog...sadly....blood tests showed he is very allergic to the dog. They aren't sure how non-food allergens play a role, but cases of EE are worse in the fall and spring.

So that's where we are at. It may change as I read and learn more. My friend gave me the name of another doctor who is the expert on EE, and even taught at the school in Cincinnati (the leader in EE research) where my current allergist went to. And he just happens to live in Utah. My only concern is that Sam does not throw up hardly ever, so I don't know how I will know if he's getting better, or if a certain food we add is making him sick. Please comment if you have any suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. My Hailey is doing really well on Flovent. Her eosinophil level was 123, the highest our allergist has ever seen. She tested positive for every food the allergist tested for. (I know there is a difference between blood allergy testing and eosinophilic testing). However, I was so discouraged. We have eliminated the 6 major foods and are doing flonase and she has gained 2 lbs in 6 weeks! She will be re scoped the end of June. She acts so much better and for the first time EVER she said she was "hungry" the other day. Something she has never said before. Who is your GI? We go to Dan Jackson and Dr. Glych up at Primary. Hailey never had the typical EE symptoms either (throwing up, Food getting stuck...) Just poor weight gain and a few other issues. Please call me if you need to talk. It is soooooo refreshing to hear when someone is seeing positive results!
    Megan Thomas 801-495-0625. (again I'm steffanie Maddox friend)

    ReplyDelete