Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

These were actually really good muffins. Again, like the cookies, my older boys and I liked them more than Sam, but he has eaten some of them. I think at this point he just doesn't want anything because it's not his normal food he loves. Maybe after a week or so he'll start liking these new things. I did not make the topping for these, because it was more work and I wasn't sure if Sam would even like them, but I would have used quinoa flakes instead of the oats if I did make it. Maybe next time. This recipe made 12 regular muffins and 24 mini muffins, and I put them in the freezer so they wouldn't go bad.

Pumpkin Muffins

Muffins

2 bananas

1 cup canned pumpkin*

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup rice milk

2/3 cup canola oil

3 1/2 cups safe flour (I used a rice flour/tapioca starch blend)

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*

Topping

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped rolled oats

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon*

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

For the topping: Place oats in blender and pulse a few times until they are roughly chopped. (Do not clean blender, we will be using it again.) In a small bowl, mix oats, oil, and brown sugar and set aside.

Place banana in blender and puree until they become a smooth sauce-like consistency. (I just mashed them in a bowl.) Mix banana, pumpkin, sugar, rice milk, and oil until well blended. Combine dry ingredients and then gently stir into the wet mixture until just moistened.

Top each of the muffins with one tablespoon of topping. Bake 20 minutes.

Makes 24 regular muffins.

* Variation — Spookily Sweet Potato Muffins: For a low-histamine version of these muffins, use canned pureed sweet potato instead of canned pumpkin. Substitute 1 teaspoon ground ginger for the 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, and omit the cinnamon in the topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment