Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Today was the big day I've been anxiously waiting for.
It has been such a roller coaster these last few months, thinking one day he was doing great, and the next day thinking he was just getting worse. But for the last couple weeks I've really been optimistic. He's kept on the weight from his last dose of steroids, has had no breathing problems, and I think even gotten taller. I think his face looks chubbier too. So I couldn't wait to get the scope and see if his esophagus had healed.


He weighed in at 21 lbs 2 oz, and measured 30 in. That is awesome. The surgery was quick and Dr. Pohl said he did very well. The white eosinophil plaques are still there, but much less, and nothing in the small intestine. He took several samples for biopsy. We are so happy!


So now we wait for the results, but it really seems he is getting better. I'm anticipating a grilled "rice" cheese sandwich in his future, and maybe some cookies.


The only frustrating thing now is what to do in the future. My GI doctor does not want to scope again, just watch symptoms and determine by observation if a new food is a trigger. The problem is, Sam's only symptom is not growing, and that is going to be hard to tell right away. My doctor does not believe me that he eats well, all the time. As terrible as it sounds, I would like to scope three or four weeks after introducing a new food so we know for sure, right away, and can get this over with. I don't want to be here a year from now realizing that Sam stopped growing, after we introduced all these foods thinking he was doing fine because he was eating a lot. And at what point will he not be able to recover from a growth stunt? I'd even be fine just doing three more scopes, one after wheat, soy, and seafood, and just not ever trying to add back dairy and eggs since he's allergic, and obviously never nuts. Is that so bad?


I wish I could find someone who is in the same situation, who doesn't have these obvious semi-immediate reactions to trigger foods. Who doesn't throw up or stop eating well. And who is too young to express discomfort when they eat certain foods. The only thing I have to go on is growth.


Maybe he'll keep growing a lot and we won't have to worry about it. But I know when he has a breathing problem or eczema flare-up, which I'm sure will happen, I will worry it is because he's getting sick again, and I won't know for sure. Nobody knows for sure how much it correlates. So what do I conclude at that point? Do I eliminate whatever food I had most recently added back in? Should I consider breathing and skin issues to be EoE symptoms? No one can give me an answer.


Anyways, enough of my slipping into negative mode. Right now I am just happy with the scope, and I'm anxious for the biopsy results to come back so we can move forward. Maybe Sam will actually start talking and he can just tell me how he feels. That would be perfect!

2 comments:

  1. i can't believe how frustrated this post makes me and I'm not even the one going through it! that is good news that wheat is in though! hopefully you'll be able to figure it all out soon (and yes talking would be a plus!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar situation as my son has no obvious symptoms.... we just happened to find the EE because he was having colon options. I see this post was almost a year and a half ago.. have you figured out how to tell when he is having symptoms yet? or maybe I will find out if I read more. Thank you for this.. it is really nice to know I am not alone in this.

    ReplyDelete