Sunday, January 30, 2011

What's new...

Sometimes new is good.

Especially when it's a new friend on the internet.

Yes, I have made a new friend who has a little boy just diagnosed last month with EoE. They are still doing allergy testing and not sure yet what they can feed him, and it brings back a lot of overwhelming memories when we first got Sam's diagnosis. I'm glad we're past that, and now I can be the one to offer help. It's really amazing how the internet connects so many strangers and becomes such a marvelous resource! I mean really, how did our parents do it?!?

So along with my new friend here came a new recipe for black bean soup here.

Now Sam is not a soup kind of kid. He doesn't really like to eat it; none of my kids do, which is frustrating for me because soup's an easy thing to make and I love it. But my kids ate ALL of this (except for Phenix because it wasn't candy), including Sam who just kept spooning it into his mouth. The best part? It took all of 5 minutes to make and maybe cost $1.50 (because I used my own homemade canned salsa).

And then you can add anything else to it, make a little soup bar.
Sam loved it with grilled chicken. I loved it with fresh tomatoes, grilled chicken, avocado, sour cream, and maybe some cheese.

Black Bean and Salsa Soup

(she has a pretty picture on her website, but I can't copy it. How did she do that???)

Ingredients:
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1.5 c. vegetable broth
1 c. salsa
1 t. cumin
sour cream, green onion, shredded cheese for garnishing

Directions:
Combine beans, broth, salsa and cumin in a food processor. Blend until fairly smooth. Heat soup in a saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Put soup in bowls and garnish as desired.

I wish I had doubled the recipe though because there wasn't much left over for lunch the next day. This will definitely be made again!!
I hope Sam loves it again.
You never know.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yay!!!!! Love that sam liked it! Isn't it the most delicious soup! I LOVE it. Thanks for the shout-out. ;) I'm glad that we are able to connect through the Internet. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete